After Solana’s Co-Founder Said BTC Should Change Its Consensus Algo, Solana Mainnet Loses Consensus for 7 Hours
May 1, 2022
While Ethereum customers taking part within the Otherside metaverse land sale brought about community charges to rise and created points for the blockchain explorer Etherscan, it overshadowed Solana’s blockchain community outage. It appears a flood of inbound transactions on Saturday brought about Solana’s mainnet to lose consensus for roughly seven hours.
Solana’s Mainnet Loses Consensus for 7 Hours
- The Solana proof-of-stake (PoS) blockchain community suffered one other outage after a big quantity of transactions flooded the community. Solana’s PoS community has had difficulties in the past, as block manufacturing stalled for hours in mid-September 2021.
- Solana’s community outage was confirmed on Twitter. “Block manufacturing on Solana Mainnet Beta has halted. Validator operators ought to put together for a restart in mb-validators on Discord,” the Twitter account referred to as Solana Status said. “Validator operators throughout the ecosystem are working to finalize restart directions for Mainnet Beta.”
- The outage on Saturday follows the statements made by one of many undertaking’s co-founders, Anatoly Yakovenko, who mentioned Bitcoin’s consensus algorithm ought to change to PoS. “If [Bitcoin] ultimately doesn’t change to proof-of-stake no person goes to make use of it,” the Solana co-founder defined in an interview.
- During the outage, Yakovenko’s latest Bitcoin PoS commentary was mocked and one particular person wrote: “Eventually if Solana doesn’t have constant uptime, no person goes to make use of it.”
- After seven hours, Solana Status updated the general public concerning the downtime and a community restart. “Validator operators efficiently accomplished a cluster restart of Mainnet Beta at 3:00 AM UTC, following a roughly 7-hour outage after the community failed to succeed in consensus,” the Twitter account wrote. “Network operators and dapps will proceed to revive consumer providers over the subsequent a number of hours.”
- Solana’s growth group needed to concern cluster restart directions and published a doc about learn how to begin the method. During the primary week of January 2022, Solana’s growth group formally acknowledged that “excessive compute transactions” had been “decreasing community capability.”
Mainnet Beta Validators: Please observe the cluster restart directions https://t.co/OSDKJZafeS
— Solana Status (@SolanaStatus) May 1, 2022
- While Solana has had points with a flood of transactions and long-lasting outages, since January 3, 2009, Bitcoin (BTC) has a community uptime proportion score of round 99.98734244113%.
What do you consider Solana’s blockchain shedding consensus for seven hours after being flooded by a big amount of transactions? Let us know what you consider this topic within the feedback part beneath.